Tuesday, July 22, 2014

To the Vampires Who Cared...

Saturday was a truly monumental day for me. I was a the homeschooling fair that (by default) I was in charge of. One of the committee members arranged to have the American Red Cross come with their bus for a blood drive. As I went to welcome the blood (aka: vampire) crew, I told the woman in charge that I really wanted to donate, but... and I let her know about the heart challenge last year. I expressed that I did not know if I would "pass" the test to donate. She encouraged me to come and see what we could figure out.

I have not been able to donate for over 5 years, because of my heart. In fact, I remember the last time I attempted to. It was at our church building in Nampa, ID. I went through the list of questions and sadly, things were bad enough with my heart that they had to excuse me from giving my blood away- blood that is a rare type and always in need. This time, though, I was determined to pass the test by sure will.

In the evening, I stood at the event microphone and announced the Red Cross needed 2-3 more volunteers to reach their goal for the day. I was going to attend, who was with me? I went back to the vampire bus. (Actually, I am pretty sure it hurt less than an actual vampire bite would.) As I sat and chatted with the gal in charge we not only had a few giggles over some of the questions, but we found out that- I PASSED!! I was able to donate blood! My heart is FINALLY well enough to give this service! Oh, I was thrilled!

After the questions were finished, I went to lie down on the bed, where the needle was (gulp) inserted (not a huge fan of needles) and the blood was taken from me, like a anteater sucking up it's favorite creatures. I was able to donate a full pint in 5 1/2 minutes- better than the average. While I was lying there, squeezing the little stress ball that helps my blood release easier, I had a nice chat with the man who was taking care of me at that point. He is a big, burly, teddy bear of a man. He wears a dark purple stethoscope and recently bought himself a dark purple, metallic Harley!! Who wouldn't when it is your favorite color? I would LOVE to see that bike!!

As the vampires no longer ask what type of blood one has, I offered the information. "O negative with an Rh negative factor," is what I told them. "They are going to LOVE you!" was the response. (From my understanding, my type of blood is the rarest, and it is also universal, so that makes me a prime donor.) We finished up my transfusion.... I mean donation... and I went on my way. Amazingly enough, I was not even dizzy. I was allergic to all the foods they offered, so I just went back to my table at the fair to eat my sun-warmed strawberries. Yum! (Not really.)

The vampires were superb. I shared with them a little of WHY I was SO emotional over donating blood. They were happy I was there, as was I.
A few of us Blood Heroes. I am on the far right.


It was easy, peasy to donate. The hardest part was answering the questions, as some of them made me giggle... a lot! If you are in the kind of health needed to donate, I suggest you do it! You get to be a Blood Hero because the blood you donate will absolutely save a life one day!  To the vampires who cared, thank you. Your caring about my healthy heart made me feel loved.

My name is Jenny McKinney. I can donate blood again... and vampires care enough to have chocolate cookies for you! Chocolate! Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment