Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Month of Greatness

Several years ago, I wrote a song for a man who, in my eyes, is full of greatness. Everyday, he would go to visit his wife in her nursing home. Every morning, he would fix her hair and makeup how she always loved it. Every evening, he would return to get her ready for bed. He was not able to completely care for her in her late years, but he did all he could to make her happy and comfortable. After she passed away, he felt as if he had not done enough. He is the kindness, most humble man. He exudes greatness.

Today marks the one month anniversary of my heart being repaired, one month since I was told, "You no longer have ARVD. You will never need an ICD." It is hard to believe that more than four weeks have passed. As I reflect on this first month of having a fully functional heart, I have to wonder: Have I done anything to exude greatness? I have rested, rested and rested some more. I have made dinner for my family. I have written a couple of new songs and moved forward with my music career. I have told my husband and kids "I love you" more often. I have made new friends. I have helped a car accident victim. On the other hand, I have argued with my siblings. I have avoided people. I have not been as positive as I could be, as I should be. Does this equal greatness? Right now, probably not. The nice thing about this journey is I have time.

Now, knowing some of my dear friends are reading this, I know, I know. I am allowed to take time to rest and heal. And I am! (Sort of.) Knowing me, though, you should know that I still want to do something great even while resting. So today, as I have been reflecting on this past month of my life, I decided that everyday is great, as long as I make it that way. Making dinner is creating greatness, as long as it is with love. Writing new songs is creating greatness, as long as I am doing it for the sake of others, and not just to make a buck. Telling my family I love them is always creating greatness. Even the days that have had difficult moments can create greatness, as long as I am praising God for all He has given me and finding some kind of joy in the journey.

Greatness does not have to be extravagant. Greatness can be ordinary, as long as you are creating it in an extraordinary way.

My name is Jenny McKinney. I have had a month of greatness and.... chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's been a month! Happy anniversary to your healthy heart!

    ReplyDelete