Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Val...uh..... Heart Hero Week!!

For many in this country, Valentine's Day is overrated. I am not saying that because I was jilted by a lover (I watched "Wives and Daughters" this week. The word "jilted" is fresh on my mind). Nor do I say that because I am struggling with being alone. In fact, I am very blessed to have an eternal companion of 17+ years. As some struggle with not getting chocolate's or flowers (because that is the only true gifts this day, right? >eye roll<) I like to look at this holiday a bit differently. Today, as we say at our house, is "Love Day"- a day to show love- in all forms... to all people. This day is especially meaningful to those in the heart community, because this is the day we really celebrate our Heart Warriors.

I realize I have not posted everyday this CHD Week like I planned. Sometimes, life gets the best of me and I get a little pouty while I struggle. It is the stories of the Heart Heroes that has pulled me through it, though. Today, I am going to share the stories of a few Heart Warriors that I know will touch your... well, heart!

Meet Emily. She was born with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. This means, Emily has half a heart. How do parents of such a Heart Warrior cope with this life-changing news? Please read Emily's Story and come to understand true courage. Emily is my heart hero.



Meet Capri. She was born with Ebstein's Anomaly. I do not even know what to say about this Heart Warrior except, please have a box of tissue ready as you read her story. Start at the very beginning so you may walk in her mother's shoes, if only for a moment. She is my Heart Hero. Capri's Story



Meet Jaxton. Born with Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome, Double Inlet Left Ventricle, and Pulmonary Atresia. Like all Heart Warrior stories, I cannot read them without a tissue in hand. This one is no exception. I love Jaxton's smile. He is my Heart Hero.


In reading these stories, perhaps you may realize that although today was founded upon a man who was executed, then turned commercial (like every other holiday), it can be something special and dare I say.... sacred... as we celebrate loving our Heart Hero Warriors.

My name is Jenny McKinney. I love my Heart Heroes. Now, where's my box of chocolates?

The remainder of my heart scar on my neck and
me with my new hair cut.

Oh and Happy Heart Day to me... 6 months and two days since my heart miracle.



No comments:

Post a Comment