Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Homecoming in Heaven

Shock. Sadness. Grief. Friend. These are the words that come to mind this morning as my husband and I mourn a beloved friend. Football Coach Steve McKane passed away yesterday due to a heart attack. He was 38 years old... and healthy. He leaves behind his superstar wife (and cancer survivor) Kami, and their three young boys.

For whatever reason, the Lord allowed my not-so-great heart to keep going but my healthy, football coach of a friend..... his heart just stopped. Truly, it was him time to go, yet it does not make it any easier those of us left behind.

Oh how we wish we could jump in our car and drive to AZ for the funeral services. Oh how I wish I could embrace MyKami and cry with her. Steve is her sweetheart, her forever love. My hearts weeps for her loss.

I have lost many friends in this life, some through illness but many unexpected. Not all of them have been this painful. Last night, as I wept in my sweetheart's arms, I wondered why this particular loss is hitting me so hard. He shared the insight, "Maybe it's because this is what we could have faced."

Could have. Not are. Could have.

After learning the hard way to not question the Lord's decisions, it is taking everything in my will power to not question why He would allow me to stay but take our friend home. Instead, I am focusing on what I am to do with my life that will fulfill my purpose. Steve obviously fulfilled his.

It is homecoming week at Florence High School in Arizona.... homecoming week.... without their coach. Play hard for Coach, Gophers. He will most definitely be cheering you from Heaven's Game Room. There's a homecoming in heaven as well.

My name is Jenny McKinney and I will miss Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment