Monday, July 1, 2013

I am Not My Disease

This is ..... a bit tricky- writing about a disease I barely know anything about, while trying not to think of chocolate to often. I am not sure what is harder some days: having to rest so much because my heart is not working right, or having to hurry and lick my fingers ...... again ..... because I snuck into the chocolate chips ..... again .... and I don't want the kids catching me.

Sometimes they are the only source of chocolate I can find when I really, really want some chocolate, which is pretty much all the time.

I would say I am an addict to many things. Chocolate is definitely one of them. Learning is another. No, I am not addicted to drugs or alcohol. (I have never touched those things in my life. Well, there was the one time I accidentally got drunk ..... Ah, another day, another story.) There is much to learn about ARVD.

Why the blog title about Chocolate? Simple. I love chocolate. I thought if I keep the humor in this blog a bit here and there, I would not focus so much on the dreary parts my condition. I have a pretty good sense of humor. Hopefully, it will come through now and then.

I have recently been diagnosed with ARVD (Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Displaysia.) When I say I say "recently," I am talking about a week ago. I have only began to research and have so much to learn on this heart journey. My condition is not exactly common. (1 in 5000 cases documented). And since it was only discovered in 1982, there is more to be understood, I imagine. I have not yet found a lot of personal stories on the web regarding this condition, so I thought if I shared my own, it may help someone along the way.

I am not my disease. It may limit what I do with my body these days, but I am not my disease. I am a happy, joyful person that seeks to uplift others through service and especially music. I am married to my forever sweetheart and mother of 4 beautiful, incredible children. Now that I know about this condition I have, I am especially grateful to have been able to bring them into this world. I plan on staying around as long as I can to raise them up to the wonderful adults I know God designed them to be.

My name is Jenny McKinney, I have ARVD, and I really, really want some chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment